Wednesday, September 23, 2009


Today we take a look at Emily's fantasy sculptures. She's a big fan of the Pern series of dragon books so a lot of her sculptures revolve around the characters in that series. Her original sculptures were so small and detailed she would mount them on pennies. As you can see, she's working larger as her confidence builds.



She finished this character this week. She uses Sculpey, a soft polymer that you bake in the oven to harden.



Like April's doll collection, I'm convinced these things come alive when I'm asleep at night. I swear I heard this beast flap its wings last night...



This dragon chess set was also finished this week, each piece individually sculpted, no casting was used. Though she's an animal sciences major at UC Davis, I think she could work at Pixar as a maquette modeler for the computer animators.

Friday we close with a look at her landscape oils.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! This young lady has a future in the arts for sure!! Wow. I am just speechless guys. She has a fan in Ireland!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April~
    I know, we just look at her and shake our heads sometimes...

    ReplyDelete