Sunday, February 7, 2010


White-faced Whistler
oil on canvas
15" x 30"
2009-10


Here's another rendition of the White-faced Whistler at our zoo. The first one I painted was only 6" x 6", so this one is considerably larger. This is the last unfinished work from 2009 and I'm so happy to be finished with it. It was actually a fun painting even though I stopped work on it for a few months. Sometimes I just need to walk away from a challenging painting and come back to it later. Buying new brushes is also a superb motivating factor to finishing a waiting piece.

I'm probably going to lay off birds for awhile, I've been wanting to get back into some more coastal landscape work, which I may do this week. Also, my architectural model workshop is coming up in a few weeks and I need to prepare for that. I've got over 30 students signed up so I better start sharpening those x-acto blades.


2 comments:

  1. A beautiful piece Denny and it's always a great feeling to get things finished. I have so many paintings I need to finish..little touches here and there. I think it's true when they say that the longer you leave something, the bigger the job becomes (in your mind). Maybe I need new brushes as an incentive.
    Good luck with the course...30 students huh? Wow. YOu'll be busy then!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April~thank you. And I do encourage you to finish those "orphans", you'll have a great sense of accomplishment and they really don't take as long to finish as we think!

    ReplyDelete