Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tangent
oil on panel
6" x 8"

We're well into the New Year and I've got several paintings in various stages in the works. I'm still focused on learning traditional techniques that I missed in college and in my own struggles with painting. As I get older, the more traditional my painting has become and within that discipline many, many, challenges arise. Currently I'm in the middle of reading James Gurney's Color and Light, a fantastic treatise on effectively using- well, color and light, -in one's work. I've taken on some of James' challenges on my own as exampled in the study above. In this painting I'm trying out two interesting lighting techniques: edge lighting and subsurface scattering. Edge lighting is self-explanatory, an aura of light illuminates the edge of an object for dramatic effect. Subsurface scattering is light that passes through a translucent object, illuminating it from within as in Tangent's ears above.

There is just so much to learn still and a thousand hours of practice ahead, but every now and again there is progress.
Happy New Year, everyone,
D

5 comments:

  1. Hi Denny,
    Yes, it's a great book, one that every artist should read and have on their bookshelf.
    I think you captured the subsurface scattering effect really good here and kept it subtle, excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik, thanks, there's so much great content in his book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't learning fun? LOL
    You have accomplished a great sense of light with this one Denny. great work

    ReplyDelete