Friday, December 24, 2010


December Beach
oil on panel
4.5" x 16"
(Sold)

Okay, I thought the cranberry painting was to be the last one for this year, but I was able to get one more painting done today. This morning our family went to the de Young museum in San Francisco to view the Post-Impressionist show and I guess I got inspired. Of course, as an artist, one thinks one is never producing enough work or putting in enough hours. So many head games come with this vocation. After my nap I sat down to my little table top easel and got to work.

This location is just north of the lighthouse at Pigeon Point, about 45 minutes south of my home on the San Mateo coast. I was there last week with my friend Shawn to take in the winter sky and coast. We sat for hours watching the approaching storm, I took a few pictures and notes of the colors and contrasts of our surroundings. A few beers and sandwiches were sacrificed for the occasion. I love the coast during the winter months, it feels like stepping back in time- like maybe a million or so years.

Peace.


9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful scene - lights, contrasts and colors, great painting Denny!
    Merry Christmas to you and family! I wish you the very best for the new year to come!
    -Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy~ Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    Pierre~ Thank you too. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of your studio in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to end the year, Denny. I can't say I was able to paint over the last few days but look forward to starting fresh in the new year with my new easel. That impressionist show really is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your Christmastime and New Years have been fabulous Denny!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was, Kit, Happy New Year to you and Chic Provence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, the Post- Impressionist show was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY NEW YEAR Denny.
    Your last painting of the year is just super and very Holiday looking. Love the "really" last one of the year. A great landscape.

    ReplyDelete