Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mt. Lassen
9" x 12"
oil on panel



This is a plein air painted from Manzanita Lake in Mt. Lassen National Park where I camped with my pal Shawn awhile back. We climbed to the top of Mt. Lassen the day before and took in a spectacular view where we were able to see the peak of Mt. Shasta to the north. Both mountains are extinct volcanos, but there's still plenty of geothermic activity going on at the park. The caldera of Mt. Lassen is unworldly, full of gray ash, black, craggy outcroppings, and snow- reminded me of a landscape straight from science fiction.



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I really like how you simplified such a large mass of trees, and kept it from looking like a huge wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeremy, I was pleased with this one. So many panels end up back in the stack to be painted over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful, the color of Mt. Lassen and the light/shadows of the trees!

    ReplyDelete